Across the country, companies, churches, schools, and groups of all kinds are rolling up their sleeves and hosting SchoolTools events to provide basic school supplies to help children who live in poverty in the U.S.
- Nearly 16 million American children live in families with incomes below the federal poverty level. (Children’s Defense Fund, 2006)
- There are more than 64,811 Title I schools in the U.S. where 21 million children qualify for free/reduced lunch program
- Many public school teachers spend between $400 and $1,000 of their own money each year on school supplies for students whose families can’t afford to provide them. National Assessment of Educational Progress 2010)
provides backpacks filled with necessary school supplies to children living in low-income families in the United States so they will be better equipped to learn. When children have their own school supplies it builds self-esteem and also frees up family resources for other essentials such as food, medicine and utilities.
What SchoolTools can do for your group
By working together to assemble SchoolTools backpacks, your group can:
- Discover a hands-on opportunity to demonstrate compassion for children living in poverty.
- Involve your colleagues, church members, family, and friends in a fun and meaningful community service project.
- Come together to change the lives of children in the U.S.
- Develop a greater awareness of poverty in the U.S. and have an opportunity to make a difference.
What’s in a SchoolTools backpack?
Each SchoolTools kit has:
- Quality backpack
- Filler paper
- Pencil pouch
- Pencil sharpener
- Glue sticks
- Note of encouragement
The minimum order is 50 backpacks. World Vision will ship the supplies directly to your location. Videos and various event resources are provided to ensure that you host a quality event. When your SchoolTools backpacks are assembled, World Vision will work with you to coordinate shipping and/or distribution.
Distribution of Backpacks
SchoolTools backpacks are distributed to students in your area through a local World Vision office, a school or a local non-profit organization serving children in need. Or, if you prefer, your group can organize the distribution of the backpacks thru a school or organization right in your community.
World Vision is located in Appalachia (West Virginia), Chicago, North Texas, Southern California, New York, Seattle/Tacoma, Twin Cities, and the National Capitol Area.
The Cost of a SchoolTools Backpack
Each SchoolTools backpack kit costs a tax-deductible donation of $22. This price includes shipping, handling, sales tax, and distribution costs. World Vision will send you a receipt for your gift.