Casitas's Community News
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families. These are a few of the areas we focused on in the past year: 2015
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- 374 young people participated in workshops where they raised awareness among their peers about child rights and reporting child abuse violations.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- 248 children benefitted from school gardens that provided them with nutritious lunches and agricultural skills.
- 1,783 children benefitted from health sessions we offered on teethbrushing, personal hygiene, and handwashing.
- We partnered with the Ministry of Health to improve children's health by educating 30 mothers on the importance of vaccinations and healthy nutrition for young boys and girls.
- We educated 80 mothers with underweight children about starting family gardens and raising chickens to help feed their children. We provided the women with tools, vegetable seeds, and laying hens.
- In coordination with the Ministry of Health, we trained 14 mothers to visit local parents and teach them how to prepare healthy, nutritious meals for their children. The mothers also promoted good hygiene habits, such as handwashing and housecleaning.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- To equip young people to earn an income and contribute to their family's needs, we trained 35 youth in hairstyling and taught them how to start small businesses.
- 106 children developed skills in reading and creative writing when they attended reading clubs we formed in partnership with 20 teachers.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways, and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- 178 parents took part in our training program called Celebrating Families, which is designed to help parents learn about positive parenting skills and nurture their children's spiritual development.
- In partnership with religious leaders and school counselors, we supported 290 children and adolescents with education about values and showing love and respect to themselves and their peers.
To protect the privacy of children, this map shows only the general area of the community, not the exact location.
The needs in Casitas, Nicaragua
Life cycle of a sponsorship community
World Vision has been in this community for 16 years.
Casitas, Nicaragua is in Phase 3
PHASE 1: Years 1-3
- Listen to desires and concerns of community leaders
- Partnership with community begins
- Outline needs and resources
- Child sponsorship begins
PHASE 2: Years 4-9
- Community members equipped and empowered to bring change to their own lives
- Children benefit from life-changing projects
- Community embraces project ownership
PHASE 3: Years 10-close
- Years of hard work continues to transform lives
- Community self-sufficiency grows
- A sustainable plan for the future is determined
- World Vision leaves
World Vision has a unique community development model. LEARN MORE.