AMMAN, Jordan (December 19, 2016) – As families and children flee the city of Aleppo, facing displacement, violence and freezing temperatures, World Vision today issued a call to millions around the world to light a #Candle4Syria, to show solidarity with those suffering in Syria this season.
“Through the #Candle4Syria campaign, we want to show children and families in Syria that they are not forgotten,” said World Vision president, Richard Stearns. “By posting a candle in the window of their homes, and sharing a picture with others on social media, people can advocate for an end to this violence against children and express their compassion. We want to show the children of Syria that we stand with them, and there is hope.”
World Vision is on the ground in Syria, supporting children and families with humanitarian aid.
“We’re delivering clean water and sanitation services, supporting health clinics and hospitals, providing spaces for women and young children to seek refuge and receive support,” said Drew Clark with World Vision’s humanitarian and emergency affairs team. “We’re pre-positioning thousands of blankets and mattresses to provide to families due to flee Aleppo.”
The organization is asking people around the world to take just one action this week, to show children they care.
“We have a collective responsibility to translate outrage into action; to send a clear message to our political leaders that, at this decisive moment, history will judge us – and those with the power for change must step up to alter the course of this conflict.” said Stearns.
What people can do. Express Solidarity, Demand Peace, Support
- Express Solidarity: Put a burning candle in your window, take a photo or a small video clip and post it with the hashtag #Candle4Syria on Facebook or Twitter.
- Demand Peace: Demand that your leaders take action to end the violence in Syria
- Support Syrians: Donate to NGOs on the ground that can help to alleviate some of the suffering. Donations to World Vision’s Aleppo Crisis Relief Fund can be made here.
– END –
About World Vision:
World Vision is a Christian humanitarian organization conducting relief, development, and advocacy activities in its work with children, families, and their communities in nearly 100 countries to help them reach their full potential by tackling the causes of poverty and injustice. World Vision serves all people regardless of religion, race, ethnicity, or gender. For more information, please visit www.WorldVision.org/media-center/ or on Twitter @WorldVisionUSA.
- Campaign, launched Monday, asks families to light candles in windows to show solidarity with suffering children in Aleppo and share using #Candle4Syria hashtag
- Campaign based on the words of Martin Luther King Jr: “Darkness cannot drive out darkness. Only light can do that.”