Across India, as Christmas approaches, Christian families craft handmade star-shaped lanterns. These beautiful pieces represent shining God’s light to the world, something even more special to Indian Christians, who make up less than 3 percent of the population. Download a pattern you can use to make them with your family.
- Star pattern (5 copies)
- Markers, crayons, or colored pencils
- Hole punch
- Glue or tape
- 1 hanging fairy light
1. Cut out each piece along the solid lines. Color and decorate each piece however you’d like.
2. Fold each along the dotted lines.
3. Bring the sides together, and tape or glue them to form a cone-like piece that will be one point of the star. Repeat for the other four points.
4. Glue the tabs together so that they’ll sit on the inside of the lantern. Leave the last two open to insert the light, if desired.
5. Punch a hole about halfway up each side of the two points that will be at the top of the star.
6. Cut ribbon to desired hanging length, thread through each hole, and tie a knot at the top where it will hang from, so it forms a triangle.
7. Insert the fairy light into the opening between the two top points.
8. Hang your star, plug in the fairy light, and enjoy!