Pray for East Africa with us, especially for World Vision’s work in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Let’s lift up the concerns of the families and children of these nations to our heavenly Father and listen to what He has to say to us about them.
Why World Vision is in Burundi
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Burundi
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Thousands of families became involved in local savings groups, which helped ensure they could provide for their children.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Nutrition programs were implemented to support malnourished children in the community. More than 80% of the children involved saw an increase in their weight.
- Farmers received supplies and training in sustainable agricultural practices, ensuring nutritious food is available for their children and the community.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Reading groups were created and facilitators trained to help support children as they learned to read and write.
- World Vision educated caregivers on the importance of early education and saw more children attend preschool as a result.
Prayer Requests from Burundi
World Vision's staff in Burundi are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For community members who have lost their homes from natural disasters like landslides and flooding, and for God’s wisdom as we work to manage the effects of these natural disasters.
For the people we serve, our staff and their families, and our partners to be protected during the pandemic.
News from Burundi
In Burundi, a malaria outbreak is affecting more than 5 million people. Diomede, a volunteer health worker, provides diagnosis and treatment to vulnerable children.
Enjoyed learning about Burundi?
Now discover another country: