Pray for East Africa with us, especially for World Vision’s work in Burundi, Ethiopia, Kenya, Rwanda, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, Tanzania, and Uganda. Let’s lift up the concerns of the families and children of these nations to our heavenly Father and listen to what He has to say to us about them.
Why World Vision is in Burundi
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Burundi
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Children were empowered to take the lead in improving their community by speaking up and sharing their opinions in community planning meetings.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Families in Burundi have better access to nutritious food. They received seeds to expand their gardens and grow more fresh foods to eat. Also, they were given livestock they can raise and then sell in the market to create additional income.
- Children received the medical care they need. Nearly 50,000 children had access to health screenings and received critical care for diseases such as malaria.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Children can learn in better environments after new classrooms were built and schools received new resources, including books. Also, a new school was constructed, meaning kids don't have to walk so far to get an education.
- New reading clubs are giving students the resources to grow in their reading and writing skills outside of the classroom.
Prayer Requests from Burundi
World Vision's staff in Burundi are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For God’s protection of children and staff as they face the COVID-19 pandemic, floods, landslides, and other natural disasters.
For continued peace, especially following the elections of May 2020.
For smooth implementation of programs.
News from Burundi
In Burundi, a malaria outbreak is affecting more than 5 million people. Diomede, a volunteer health worker, provides diagnosis and treatment to vulnerable children.
Enjoyed learning about Burundi?
Now discover another country: