Write to your sponsored child and bring a smile to their day
Wondering whether your letter really has an impact? See Rocio’s reaction when she opens her first letter from her sponsor!
Writing to your sponsored child is an easy way to let them know they’re in your thoughts and prayers. You can either send an email through My World Vision or drop a letter in the mail.
Wondering what to say?
We know — sometimes it’s hard to think of what to write. If you haven’t already introduced yourself, you can start with something like:
Hi, __________! My name is __________, and I’m so happy to be your sponsor. I live in [City, State; describe what part of the U.S.]. There are __________ people in my family. Their names are __________. We also have these pets: __________. What is your family like? I can’t wait to get a letter from you!
Or, if you’ve already started getting to know each other, try these ideas:
- Describe your family and friends: names, what they look like, interests
- Share your (or your children’s) interests and favorites: colors, animals, school subjects, sports, hobbies
- Tell your sponsored child why you’re thankful for them
- Ask about their hopes and dreams — what they want to be when they grow up
- Ask what they’re learning in school
- Ask about their favorite games and sports
- Share about your relationship with Jesus Christ*
- Share Bible verses or stories you’ve read recently*
- Remind your sponsored child that you’re praying for them*
*Note: If your child lives in an area where a faith other than Christianity is most commonly practiced, you may see a “sensitive area” alert when you send an email. Please refrain from religious references in your message, which could endanger your sponsored child or our local staff. Do continue to pray for your child’s physical and spiritual well-being.
When you write, consider your sponsored child’s environment and culture. For example, avoid writing about things you own, since your child may have very few possessions. Sharing stories, talking about family, friends, and interests, and asking about their life are great ways to keep building your relationship!
How long will it take to hear back?
We know how hard waiting is! Remote locations and slow postal systems mean delivery can normally take up to four months. Thank you for understanding that it may take even longer due to pandemic-related delays. And once letters arrive, staff usually need to translate. Your child will love to hear from you as often as you’d like to write, and you’ll hear back up to four times a year!
How to send a message through My World Vision
- Sign in to, or create, your My World Vision account.
- Click “Email your Sponsored Child” at the top of the page.
- If you sponsor more than one child, select the one you want to email.
- Choose a unique design to use in your message if you like.
- Write your message! You can even attach a couple photos (we suggest your family or pets).
- Preview your message and make sure everything looks great.
- Send it! A World Vision staff member in your child’s country will print, translate (if needed), and deliver it.
How to mail a letter
- Use paper of your own or download one of our fun letter designs (below).
- Write your message! Be sure to include your child’s full name, your child’s ID number, and your full name at the top in case your letter gets separated from the envelope. (Your child’s full name and ID number can be found at My World Vision.)
- Write the mailing address of the World Vision office in your sponsored child’s country on the front of the envelope. (This can also be found at My World Vision.)
- Write your name and address on the back flap of the envelope after folding it. Then write your child’s first name and child ID number on the back of the envelope (near the bottom).
- Put your letter and any photos inside the envelope.
- Add stamps and drop it in the mail! Check with your local post office for the right amount of postage.
Use this letter design if it’s your first time writing to your child.
Use this letter design to ask about their community and complete a fun drawing activity.
Questions? We’re happy to help! Call us at 866.461.5683