On August 14, 2021, Haiti was rattled by a magnitude 7.2 earthquake that ravaged the island’s southern peninsula. The shockwaves spread panic across the island, brought death and desolation to thousands of families, overwhelmed hospitals, flattened buildings, and trapped people under rubble in at least two cities. Read firsthand accounts from a World Vision communications officer and survivors.
Why World Vision is in Haiti
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Haiti
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Caregivers are learning new strategies to enhance their income and savings. Farmers attended trainings on sustainable agriculture techniques and were given tools to help expand their production and income.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Communities were given face masks, supplies, and educational information on how to protect their families from COVID-19.
- Hundreds of mothers were empowered with nutritional information and health strategies to support their children's development with healthy foods. Additionally, their children were given nutritional screenings to mothers know which nutrient gaps should work to fill.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Over 100 children received backpacks and the school supplies they needed to be successful in school.
- Hundreds of children attended a public speaking and communication course where they were equipped to share their ideas with others.
Prayer Requests from Haiti
World Vision's staff in Haiti are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For stability and security in Haiti during this time of unrest, and for children and their families, churches, and Christian organizations in the country to be protected.
That God would sustain our staff’s spiritual life, health, and safety so they can do their best work on behalf of vulnerable children, families, and communities.
News from Haiti
Our world is full of hurting families and nations torn apart. One-third of the world’s population live in countries with conflict, violence, or fragile internal systems. Pray with us for people living in fragile contexts and conflict zones.
Enjoyed learning about Haiti?
Now discover another country: