The 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, one of the deadliest disasters in modern history, was caused by a massive undersea earthquake. Nearly 230,000 people died, and millions more lost everything. World Vision raised more than $350 million and mounted the largest disaster response in its history, providing relief and rehabilitation in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, and Myanmar over 10 years.
Why World Vision is in Indonesia
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Indonesia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Parents were equipped with positive parenting strategies to help them discipline their children in healthy and productive ways.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Local communities were equipped with supplies to combat COVID-19 such as masks and public hand washing stations.
- Hundreds of children received health screenings and those who were underweight were enrolled in nutritional rehabilitation programs.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- World Vision helped support kids and families as they transitioned to at-home learning by providing over 300 educational kits.
- Teachers were equipped to teach remotely and given the supplies they needed to be successful.
Prayer Requests from Indonesia
World Vision's staff in Indonesia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For the children and communities affected by the COVID-19 pandemic, especially the most vulnerable.
For the government to manage the pandemic effectively for citizens, including the vaccination programs.
News from Indonesia
More than 400 people are reported dead after a tsunami struck western Java and southern Sumatra islands on Dec. 22. World Vision is providing emergency assistance.
Enjoyed learning about Indonesia?
Now discover another country: