Why World Vision is in Indonesia
2015 was marked by a new report from UNICEF, showing that child mortality has greatly improved in Indonesia. The improvements were attributed to the work of many development agencies in Indonesia, including World Vision. These agencies have partnered to upgrade health for children by providing immunizations, treating childhood diseases, and encouraging breastfeeding for the first six months. Child protection continued to be a major concern for Indonesia’s children. Abuse, bullying, and gender-based violence threatened millions of boys and girls in this island nation. Our work included teaching children, teachers, faith leaders, and parents about children’s rights and ensuring that systems were in place to report and stop cases of abuse.
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Indonesia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Children were empowered through personal development classes and arts and sports events to gain confidence and speak up about issues that affect them in the community.
- We encouraged parental involvement in child protection by providing training on disaster risk and resiliency.
- We helped households gain access to financial institutions to help promote and increase family savings for education and healthcare.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- In order to prevent waterborne illnesses, we constructed new water tanks and trained children on sanitation and hygiene practices, including handwashing with soap.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- We provided teacher training to help instructors develop quality lesson plans for students that lead to academic achievement.
- We worked to improve education for children through advocacy efforts and raised awareness among community members and parents on the importance of prioritizing education for children.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways, and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- Following Christ's example, we worked alongside children and families to change lives, promote peace and understanding, and demonstrate God's unconditional love.
Prayer Requests from Indonesia
World Vision's staff in Indonesia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Families in Aceh who lost relatives and friends in last year’s earthquake.
The ability to continue creating safe spaces for children to use during emergencies.
Enjoyed learning about Indonesia?
Now discover another country: