Hope shines a light in the darkness. It’s infectious, even healing. But what is there to be hopeful for? Let’s look at the year ahead with 20 reasons to have hope in 2020 — and how to pray them into reality.
Why World Vision is in Rwanda
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Rwanda
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Through children's clubs, kids learned about their rights and discussed key issues, including the dangers of child labor.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- To improve child nutrition, farmers learned better agricultural practices and were equipped to grow vegetable gardens for their families. Parents also learned how to prepare balanced meals and provide proper nutrition for their kids.
- More children have access to safe drinking water after World Vision installed new water pipelines in their communities. Also, kids can stay healthier with new hand-washing facilities at their schools.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- More than 9,000 children are improving their reading skills through reading clubs and new community libraries.
- Nearly 8,000 preschoolers are enrolled in early childhood education programs, where trained caregivers teach them basic skills to help prepare them for primary school. Their parents also learned about the importance of early childhood education.
Prayer Requests from Rwanda
World Vision's staff in Rwanda are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Our ability to care for refugees, especially the children, from neighboring countries who are coming to Rwanda.
Continued peace, stability, and economic transformation for our country.
News from Rwanda
Actress Patricia Heaton considered a career in missions before her acting career took off. But God’s plan for her on mission isn’t over! Join Patricia on her recent trip to Rwanda to visit children like Delphin who are in desperate need of clean water.
Enjoyed learning about Rwanda?
Now discover another country: