World Vision celebrates moments in its 70-year history when staff glimpsed God’s hand in key breakthroughs, resulting in life-saving impact. Seven stand out.
Why World Vision is in South Africa
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in South Africa
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- About 200 parents and caregivers learned positive parenting skills, including how to discipline children without physical or emotional punishment, helping to protect girls and boys from abuse.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Over 1,200 community members were given food assistance as part of World Vision's COVID-19 response, helping children and their families have enough food to eat.
- Nearly 4,000 families went to hygiene training and now have a handwashing station with soap at home, helping to keep children safer from disease.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- About 1,700 young people took part in life skills activities, empowering them with social and emotional skills and confidence for the future.
- Over 5,000 girls and boys in Grades 1 to 3 took part in after school literacy programs, helping them to improve their reading.
Prayer Requests from South Africa
World Vision's staff in South Africa are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Children to stay in school and expand their future opportunities.
Pastors to be effective leaders in the quest for child protection.
News from South Africa
Pray with us for Southern Africa — for malaria prevention in Mozambique and Zambia, people living with HIV and AIDS in Eswatini (Swaziland), and for peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
FEB. 1, 2013, SOUTH AFRICA — South Africa’s patriarchal society denies women a voice on issues affecting them most: gender equality, child abuse, rape, and high HIV rates. But now many are standing against the denial and prejudice associated with HIV by learning to live productive lives.
Enjoyed learning about South Africa?
Now discover another country: