World Vision celebrates moments in its 70-year history when staff glimpsed God’s hand in key breakthroughs, resulting in life-saving impact. Seven stand out.
Why World Vision is in South Africa
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in South Africa
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Children are safer after parents learned how to use positive discipline and to identify and report suspected cases of child abuse. Local stakeholders also committed to working together to address child protection concerns.
- Boys and girls participated in forums and clubs where they learned about child protection. They also learned how to identify and respond to possible abuse and violations of their rights.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Children are empowered to help care for their health and well-being after learning about practices such as physical exercise, hand washing, and personal hygiene. They also learned how to grow vegetable gardens to help ensure access to fresh food throughout the year.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- More than 5,000 children participated in homework clubs where they improved their reading, writing, and math skills. High school students were trained to teach younger children, so students could learn from each other.
- Around 400 students received support to apply for college and to seek scholarship funding to continue their studies.
Prayer Requests from South Africa
World Vision's staff in South Africa are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Children to stay in school and expand their future opportunities.
Pastors to be effective leaders in the quest for child protection.
News from South Africa
Pray with us for Southern Africa — for malaria prevention in Mozambique and Zambia, people living with HIV and AIDS in Eswatini (Swaziland), and for peace in the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
FEB. 1, 2013, SOUTH AFRICA — South Africa’s patriarchal society denies women a voice on issues affecting them most: gender equality, child abuse, rape, and high HIV rates. But now many are standing against the denial and prejudice associated with HIV by learning to live productive lives.
Enjoyed learning about South Africa?
Now discover another country: