The 2004 Indian Ocean tsunami, one of the deadliest disasters in modern history, was caused by a massive undersea earthquake. Nearly 230,000 people died, and millions more lost everything. World Vision raised more than $350 million and mounted the largest disaster response in its history, providing relief and rehabilitation in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand, India, and Myanmar over 10 years.
Why World Vision is in Sri Lanka
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Sri Lanka
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Children are safer in their communities after parents and community leaders learned about children's rights and how to prevent and report child abuse. Also, around 4,000 children, parents, and community members signed a pledge to protect children's rights.
- Children were empowered to organize a kite festival, where 1,800 girls and boys learned about their rights in a fun environment.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- More than 5,000 children have better access to healthcare after a local hospital was renovated.
- Through cooking classes, parents and caregivers learned how to help prevent malnutrition by preparing more balanced meals for their families.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- More students are growing in their literacy skills after reading camps provided extra support for kids who were behind. Also, some libraries received new books for children to access.
Prayer Requests from Sri Lanka
World Vision's staff in Sri Lanka are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
That we keep reaching and empowering the most vulnerable children and families.
For safety and wisdom for our local staff and their families, as they fulfill God’s calling.
Enjoyed learning about Sri Lanka?
Now discover another country: