Can I send a letter to my sponsored child? Or an email? How about a package filled with gifts? Does my sponsored child really get the letters, emails, and packages I send? The answers: Yes!
And, you will receive a response in return. Remote locations and often the need to translate your letter mean delivery can take a while, so please be patient! Your child will love to hear from you as often as you’d like to write, and you’ll hear back up to four times a year.
Here are three easy ways to communicate with your sponsored child.
1) Send a letter.
Not sure what to write about? Here are some ideas:
Share about you!
- Your family and friends (first names, ages, descriptions, what they like)
- The place where you live
- Your interests and your favorite things — colors, animals, subjects in school, sports, hobbies
- Stories from your childhood and great memories
- Recent holidays and how your family celebrated them
Ask about them.
- Their hopes and dreams (what they want to be when they grow up)
- What they’re learning in school
- Their favorite games and sports
Include encouraging words.
- Tell your sponsored child why you’re thankful for them
- Thank them if they’ve sent a letter or picture to you
- Give genuine compliments (talents, accomplishments, etc.)
Share your faith. If your child lives in a primarily Christian context, you may write about your faith.*
- Explain your relationship with Jesus Christ
- Remind your sponsored child that you are praying for them
- Share Bible verses
*If your child lives in an area where a faith other than Christianity is most commonly practiced, you will see a sensitive area alert on your child’s page when you login. Please do not share about your faith and refrain from any religious references in your message, which could endanger your sponsored child or our local staff. Please continue to pray for your child’s physical and spiritual well-being.
See the reaction of 11-year-old Rocio, who lives in Colomi, Bolivia, when she receives a letter and a package from her sponsor in Seattle.
2) Send a package filled with gifts.
Children love getting packages! Gifts must be mailed in a 9-by-12-inch envelope (or smaller), so space counts. We asked our sponsorship experts how to maximize every inch. Consider including:
A letter from you!
- Small puzzles
Art or school supplies:
- Regular and colored pencils (don’t forget the sharpener!)
- Coloring books
- Notebooks or pads of paper
- Handmade items like small paintings or flat craft projects
- Picture postcards of your hometown
- Photos of you and your family
Please don’t include crayons (they’ll melt in transit), food, jewelry, money, or toys like fake spiders or snakes that could frighten young children.
3) Send an email.
The easiest way to communicate is to send an email to your sponsored child. You can even include photos and chose from multiple designs. Your child will be so happy to hear from you.
- Sign in, or create, your My World Vision account.
- Click “Email your Sponsored Child” at the top of the page. If you sponsor more than one child, select the child you want to email.
- Choose a design to use in your message.
- Write your message. You can even attach a couple of photos. (We suggest your family or pets.)
- Preview your message and make sure everything looks great.
- Send it! A World Vision staff member in your child’s country will print, translate (if needed), and deliver it.
You guys have made communication really easy with the opportunity to send emails and creating this avenue for the kids to write back. … You’re helping to make the world a smaller place.—Yinka Owolabi, Chicago
Where do I mail my letter or package?
Find information about where to send your letter or package to your sponsored child at My World Vision.
- Login with your account information.
- Click “visit my profile” beneath the sponsored child you’re trying to send it to.
- Click “send letter/package” and the instructions will pop up!
- Be sure to include your child’s first name and child ID number on the envelope and on your letter.
Questions? We’re happy to help! Call us at 866.461.5683.