Child labor and exploitation, female genital mutilation (FGM), and human trafficking are among the greatest evils in the world. Pray with us for an end to all harm against children and for World Vision’s work to protect children.
Why World Vision is in Cambodia
Cambodia’s economy is steadily growing, and the government is taking steps to improve the nation’s educational system. The country is consistently reaching their target goals in the area of HIV awareness and treatment. While exploitation and abuse issues concerning children are widespread, the country’s first juvenile rehabilitation center opens mid-2018. This center will provide a more stable environment for about 700 incarcerated youth. Nearly one in three people in the country are malnourished, most of them in poor rural areas. Just over half report sufficient, year-round access to food. With your support and that of others, we’re impacting nearly 3 million children as we work toward practical improvements, such as higher-quality teaching and better sanitation in schools. Small businesses and community projects are succeeding thanks to microloans, and boosting local economies. A growing number of parents are becoming actively involved in their children’s education thanks to training and encouragement from World Vision staff. And together we’re helping equip and educate boys and girls to recognize signs of potential exploitation or abuse, ensuring safer childhoods.
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Cambodia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- We worked to improve household income by partnering with the Provincial Department of Agriculture to provide training to youth and vulnerable families on chicken-raising, vegetable farming, and vocational skills such as bookkeeping.
- We collaborated with local women's groups to raise awareness among community members, parents, and children on the rights of children. Together with World Vision, these groups trained parents and children on how to identify threats to child well-being and how to report problems.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- We partnered with government departments and local health clinics throughout the country to conduct awareness sessions in villages and schools about the importance of personal hygiene and sanitation practices.
- We collaborated with local schools, community leaders, and local government authorities to improve access to clean water sources for families by constructing new rainwater tanks and rehabilitating water tanks that were broken down.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- We partnered with an organization called World Education to recruit and train literacy coaches who taught administrators, teachers, and tutors how to help children learn to read and write. Parents were also informed about how they can improve their child's literacy at home, and were given access to a new library where they can borrow books.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways, and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- Our local staff served children and families as a demonstration of God's unconditional love, seeking always to be faithful ambassadors of Jesus, the reason for our hope.
Prayer Requests from Cambodia
World Vision's staff in Cambodia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
The political stability of the country, especially regarding the July 2018 elections.
Campaigns that reduce violence against children at home and at school.
News from Cambodia
Enjoyed learning about Cambodia?
Now discover another country: