The mosquito-borne Zika virus can cause microcephaly and other serious birth defects. Though the disease has faded from the news since its most recent outbreak in 2015, Zika remains a risk in dozens of countries and territories in the Americas. Learn facts about Zika, the latest outbreak, and future threats.
Why World Vision is in Honduras
A controversial presidential election at the end of 2017 is highlighting widespread corruption among Honduras’ leadership. Due to the corruption, restructuring of laws keeps benefiting the most powerful, ignoring the well-being of the majority of the country’s people. Honduras is considered the world’s most vulnerable country to climate change and natural disasters. Millions of rural families get by with limited opportunities, farming small plots of land that have a high risk of damage. Almost one in four of the country’s children suffer from malnutrition, concentrated in these rural areas. Because of extensive poverty, about 50,000 kids under the age of 16 go to work instead of school. Our advocacy partnerships with major organizations are working to bring systemic changes to the corruption and injustices. Though many kids are still suffering from preventable illnesses, thanks to your support, we’re carrying out programs for children’s healthcare and protection. To continue sustainable change, we’re helping communities build better water and sanitation facilities and training them in good hygiene practices. Together, we’re working to make sure all children in Honduras lead healthy and safe lives.
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Honduras
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- To improve child protection during emergencies, we partnered with local organizations to train children on how to prepare for and respond to disaster situations.
- We formed local child protection committees and children's networks and educated them on child rights, advocacy, and identifying and reporting violations.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- To decrease the incidence of waterborne illnesses for children, we joined with local partners to train families and sanitation committees on handwashing, personal hygiene, waste management, and community sanitation.
- Together with local partners and health centers, we trained community health workers and mothers to improve the nutrition of children under the age of 5 by preparing nutritious meals using locally available ingredients.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- To improve children's academic performance in basic subjects, we trained students to assist their classmates through peer-to-peer tutoring. This approach also builds relationships, responsibility, and leadership.
- We collaborated with local partners to provide youth with vocational training in motorcycle repair, masonry, culinary arts, carpentry, and cosmetology so they could secure employment and contribute to family income.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways, and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- Our local staff served children and families as a demonstration of God's unconditional love, seeking always to be faithful ambassadors of Jesus.
Prayer Requests from Honduras
World Vision's staff in Honduras are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Peace and well-being of the people who are most exposed to poverty because of injustices and inequities in the country's leadership.
God to strengthen the hope and confidence of children to build a better future for their country.
News from Honduras
Enjoyed learning about Honduras?
Now discover another country: