An explosion that rocked the port of Beirut, Lebanon, on August 4 killed 160 people and injured about 6,000. World Vision is responding, initially expecting to help 120,000 people. We have been working in Lebanon since 1975.
Why World Vision is in Lebanon
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Lebanon
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Children are safer from violence and abuse after parents learned about positive discipline, how to improve family communication, and how to create a safe environment for their children at home and in the community.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- In Lebanon, children are learning to protect themselves from preventable diseases by practicing better hygiene and sanitation, including properly throwing away trash, which has been an ongoing problem in the communities.
- Children and parents are improving their communities and protecting the environment, by picking up roadside garbage.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Nearly 10,000 children can learn in better-equipped schools after World Vision provided furniture, books, games, and school supplies.
- Children are better equipped to protect themselves from violence and bullying. More than 10,000 girls and boys learned about their rights, teamwork, conflict resolution, and positive communication.
Prayer Requests from Lebanon
World Vision's staff in Lebanon are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For the Lebanese leaders to serve their country and its children in a manner that pleases the Lord.
For the safety of families in need, and for the well-being of children who are marginalized and at vulnerable due to poverty.
For our staff to serve the people of Lebanon faithfully and with pure hearts.
News from Lebanon
There are more refugees in the world than ever before, and their needs have never been greater, not only for the basic necessities of life, but for hope and opportunities to be self-sufficient. Find out more about the global refugee crisis.
God is with people suffering from disaster — refugees, families facing famine, survivors of earthquakes, hurricanes, and tsunamis. Join us in prayer for all who find themselves “strangers,” as Jesus calls them in Matthew 25:35.
Enjoyed learning about Lebanon?
Now discover another country: