Once an emerging force for democracy in West Africa, Mali has struggled to maintain stability since a 2012 coup. Conflict continues, and increasingly severe droughts and the coronavirus have added to the country’s challenges. Children and families need food security, healthcare, and protection.
Why World Vision is in Mali
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Mali
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Parents and community members learned about the negative impacts of early marriage and were equipped with tools to successfully prevent child marriages.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Health workers monitored children's growth to treat children suffering from malnutrition and help ensure they eat a nutritious died.
- Children learned to help keep themselves healthy and prevent diseases through proper hygiene. They also learned ways to prevent malaria.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Teachers were equipped with new tools to help kids learn to read. As a result, many children improved their reading and writing skills.
- Schools were updated to provide a safer learning environment and encourage more kids to stay in school. New latrines and hand-washing stations were built at schools to help children practice good hygiene. And, teachers learned how to prepare for emergencies.
Prayer Requests from Mali
World Vision's staff in Mali are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Peace in central Mali, as violence keeps interrupting our programs and endangering vulnerable families.
Success of our partnership with the government to end child marriage.
News from Mali
World Vision’s award-winning photographers travel around the world every year, capturing moments of God’s grace and faithfulness as we follow Jesus’ example to show unconditional love to the poor and oppressed. They bring back stories that inspire us to action and compassion.
As the world’s largest nongovernmental provider of clean water in the developing world, World Vision brings clean water to one new person every 10 seconds. Here are five examples of our water work around the world.
Enjoyed learning about Mali?
Now discover another country: