After his parents abandoned him as a boy, Janvie joined a World Vision child sponsorship program in the Philippines. There, he gained skills and experience that gave him the confidence to grow into the leader that he is today, even now sponsoring a child himself.
Why World Vision is in Philippines
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Philippines
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Caregivers were given tools to ensure their long term financial health so they can provide for their families. Community members had access to trainings on running a business and savings groups.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Families have access to clean water closer to home after World Vision helped establish clean water sources within 30 minutes of several communities.
- Teachers were equipped with new strategies to teach math and reading so that they effectively help more kids.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Vulnerable children in communities across the Philippines were given a better chance of succeeding in school after World Vision provided new equipment such as school supplies, uniforms, and assistive devices like wheelchairs.
- Children and teens attended life skills trainings, where they were equipped with new skills that they could use in their future studies and careers.
Prayer Requests from Philippines
World Vision's staff in Philippines are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For recovery and protection of people in the Philippines from the lingering COVID-19 pandemic, the aftermath of typhoons and volcanic unrest, and the growing risk of violence and online sexual exploitation of children.
For an immediate, accessible, and equitable rollout of immunization for all Filipinos.
News from Philippines
A World Vision former sponsored child in the Philippines now works as a healthcare worker. She was studying to be an OB-GYN nurse when the coronavirus struck. Now she works as a frontline healthcare worker caring for people infected with the virus.
Enjoyed learning about Philippines?
Now discover another country: