Children and families struggling to survive and thrive in South Asia need your prayers. This month, please lift up World Vision’s work with communities in India, Nepal, Bangladesh, and Sri Lanka.
Why World Vision is in Sri Lanka
Political corruption is prevalent in Sri Lanka’s government. While the media and judicial system are bringing public attention to issues in hopes of change, the corruption intensifies negative circumstances for the most vulnerable people. At the beginning of 2017 Sri Lanka experienced one of their worst droughts in recent decades, but just a few months later other regions were hit hard by flash floods during the monsoon season. These disasters affected and displaced thousands of families, whom we helped with emergency responses like water, food, and Child-Friendly Spaces—havens of childhood where kids’ physical and emotional needs can be met during trauma. Many children in the rural hills live in areas of high risk for preventable diseases and malnutrition, specifically undernourishment or starvation. Your support is helping us alleviate these sufferings as well as improve the quality of education for kids. Although primary education is free in Sri Lanka, schools often aren’t held to age-appropriate standards, so we’re working to develop better practices for schools. To promote child protection, our global campaign to end child violence is focused on ending child sexual abuse in Sri Lanka, and the national government is supporting our efforts. Together, these efforts are giving kids tools for transforming poverty.
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Sri Lanka
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- To help parents provide for the nutrition, health, and educational needs of their children, we equipped families to cultivate home gardens and sell their extra produce to earn income for children's healthcare and school fees.
- To increase employment options for young people, we worked with local partners to enroll youth in vocational training programs, like tailoring, beauty school, and mechanics. We also organized job fairs and career guidance sessions for high school students to help them plan for the future.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- To reduce childhood malnutrition, we empowered parents to monitor their children's growth and use best practices for feeding babies and kids, such as exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months and preparing nutritious meals for toddlers using local ingredients.
- To improve water, sanitation, and hygiene, we partnered with community-based organizations to drill new wells and train water committees to repair and manage water sources. We also constructed latrines and trained communities about waste management.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- To strengthen preschools, we worked with school development committees to complete school improvement projects and advocate in the community for the importance of early childhood education.
- We collaborated with local partners to improve the quality of education for preschoolers by ensuring that teachers earn their certification to teach early childhood education.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways, and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- Following Christ's example, we worked alongside children and families to change lives, promote peace and understanding, and demonstrate God's unconditional love.
Prayer Requests from Sri Lanka
World Vision's staff in Sri Lanka are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Our operations are aligned with God's will.
Our emergency response efforts to continue reaching people affected by disasters.
News from Sri Lanka
Enjoyed learning about Sri Lanka?
Now discover another country: