While progress on ending global poverty and boosting development has slowed or stalled because of the pandemic, we still have many reasons to be hopeful. As we see progress in clean water, mother and child health, advocacy work, and more, we can trust that our sovereign God hasn’t stopped working. Read evidences of God’s mercy to His people with these 11 reasons to have hope in 2021.
Why World Vision is in Zimbabwe
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Zimbabwe
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- More children now have access to key government services, including the ability to enroll in school, after parents and caregivers obtained birth certificates for their kids.
- Children and youth learned about their rights, how to protect themselves from abuse and violence, and how to advocate for themselves on important issues in their lives.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Young children have better healthcare access after newly constructed health facilities provide care for pregnant women, moms, and kids. Mothers and caregivers also learned how to care for and feed their babies, including the importance of breastfeeding and balanced diets.
- Around 4,500 children have better access to clean drinking water after new boreholes were drilled and others were renovated. Also, new latrines were built at schools to help keep children healthy.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Children can learn in better environments after new classrooms were built and schools received new resources, including books, furniture, and school supplies.
Prayer Requests from Zimbabwe
World Vision's staff in Zimbabwe are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
More children will be able to acquire birth certificates and authorities will prioritize registering children so they can access their rights.
Our economic situation to improve so communities can have restored dignity and fullness of life.
News from Zimbabwe
Catastrophic flooding from Cyclone Idai and Cyclone Kenneth affected close to 2.2 million people in Mozambique, Zimbabwe, and Malawi. Idai and Kenneth were two of the top five worst storms to ever hit Mozambique. Together, they’ve caused an unprecedented amount of damage. World Vision staff are providing shelter, food, and clean water to families in need.
From fragility to resilience: How World Vision is increasing livelihoods and building food security in Zimbabwe through ENSURE program
FEB. 1, 2020, ZIMBABWE — In rural Zimbabwe, women often live in poverty with no opportunities to better their lives. ENSURE, a USAID-funded program, helped change that by building resiliency and livelihoods.
Enjoyed learning about Zimbabwe?
Now discover another country: