Mukimo (pronounced moo-KEE-mo) is a traditional Kenyan main dish — a favorite in western Kenya. Nutritious and simple to make, mukimo relies on ingredients that should be easy to find in an African village (as well as your local supermarket): potatoes, corn, peas, spinach, and onion. Corn, called maize in Kenya, is grown by 90% of the country’s farmers.
But today, once-plentiful food is hard to come by. East Africa, including Kenya, is in the middle of its worst drought in 40 years. The impact of the drought on crops and livestock has been disastrous — and at the same time, conflicts like the war in Ukraine have caused food prices to soar. People who once enjoyed plentiful tables are going hungry.
World Vision is responding to the emergency in the East African countries of Kenya, Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, Sudan, and Uganda, serving more than 10 million people, half of whom are children. Our work includes helping overcome the root causes of hunger by providing training in improved agriculture techniques, assisting farmers in diversifying their livelihoods, and helping ensure access to clean water to support crop irrigation. Together with our partners, we are also meeting immediate needs through emergency aid such as food assistance.
One way to remember the people of East Africa is by creating simple meals like mukimo to serve your family. Dinnertime can be an opportunity to pray for an end to the drought in East Africa and the war in Ukraine.
- 6 white potatoes
- 4 cups baby spinach
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 cup fresh or frozen green peas
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon cooking oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Peel and rinse the potatoes, then place them in a pot and cover with cold water.
- Combine the spinach, corn, and peas in a medium pot and cover with water.
- Boil the spinach, corn, and pea mixture until cooked — about 6 minutes.
- Drain the spinach, corn, and peas and place the mixture in a bowl.
- Boil the potatoes until soft, then drain.
- Mash the potatoes in a bowl until creamy, adding salt to taste.
- Stir the spinach, corn, and pea mixture into the mashed potatoes.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium heat.
- Sauté the onion on medium-low heat until soft and translucent.
- Stir the sautéed onions into the spinach, corn, pea, and potato mixture.
- Serve hot.