There’s something special about handmade crafts at Christmastime. So we asked some of the children and families we help around the world to share their favorite Christmas crafts with you! Learn how to make DIY Christmas crafts from Armenia, Cambodia, the Dominican Republic, Lesotho, and the Philippines.
Why World Vision is in Dominican Republic
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Dominican Republic
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Through fun activities at clubs and camps, children learned about their rights and how to find help if they have been abused or their rights have been violated. Youth also learned leadership skills to promote safety in their communities.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- To help improve child nutrition and protect children from disease, parents learned about good health and nutrition including breastfeeding, infant feeding practices, and proper hygiene and sanitation.
- Families learned to reduce the spread of common diseases, such as cholera and dengue fever, through better hygiene habits, improved environmental sanitation, and waste management. Vulnerable families also received hygiene kits.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Students improved their reading and writing skills through attending reading clubs where they learned to write stories and essays in ways that make learning and writing fun.
- To better support students and improve school performance, parents learned the importance that they play in children's educational growth and development and how to participate in and support learning at home.
Prayer Requests from Dominican Republic
World Vision's staff in Dominican Republic are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For a safe, orderly, functional border, and fair laws protecting children’s rights.
For economic sustainability for the people and programs working in the Dominican Republic, and for those people and programs to extend their reach as they address the causes of poverty.
For violence to end against women in the Dominican Republic.
For more people to join the fight to end oppressive and violent forms of parenting.
News from Dominican Republic
Families are still recovering from Hurricane Maria after the monster storm devastated Puerto Rico and much of the Caribbean last September.
Enjoyed learning about Dominican Republic?
Now discover another country: