Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for
by their families, and participating in their communities
as agents of transformation.
- In order to increase child protection in ADP communities, WV El Salvador organized Intersectoral Committees, which are comprised of representatives from local governmental, religious, public, and private institutions. These representatives come together to improve the comprehensive protection of children and adolescents in their communities. Examples of the activities completed by Intersectoral Committees in this FY include promoting art, culture and sports among children, organizing activities for children such as summer school and celebrating International Children’s Day, creating a Violence Prevention Plan in coordination with youth representatives, and raising awareness about the prevention and effects of the Zika virus.
- WV El Salvador implemented Youth for Development Clubs for youth ages 13-20. The goal of these clubs is to support youth in their development and provide them the opportunity to learn skills such as problem analysis and decision making, expressing ideas, strengthening spiritual values, learning about reproductive and sexual health, and preparing a plan for life.
- In order to promote child well-being and child protection, WV El Salvador implemented Municipal Councils for Children. The children and youth involved in these councils have the opportunity to develop leadership skills, voice their opinions, and participate in decision-making related to local schools. In this year, the Municipal Councils for Children carried out activities such as environmental campaigns, creating violence prevention plans, and raising awareness around teen pregnancy.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished,
protected from infection and disease, and have access to
essential health services.
- In order to encourage proper nutrition among children under the age of 5, WV El Salvador implemented Circles of Good Health and Nutrition (CBSNs). These circles were led by ‘Guide Mothers,’ who were trained by WV to train other parents in the communities in topics such as proper nutrition, breastfeeding, hygiene, ways to prevent common childhood diseases, and vaccination. In addition to providing training to parents, these circles also help children to recover to a proper weight by providing underweight children with nutritious food and monitoring their growth.
- In order to protect children from vectorally transmitted diseases such as Zika, Dengue and Chinkungunya, WV El Salvador raised awareness in the communities about signs/symptoms and ways to prevent these diseases. Awareness activities were aimed primarily at women who are pregnant or have small children. These activities were often held in conjunction with a community’s Intersectoral Committee, comprised of representatives of local religious, governmental, private, and public institutions.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to
develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future,
and families and communities support children's education.
- In order to encourage holistic development in children ages 3-6, WV El Salvador implemented Centers for Comprehensive Community Development. At these centers, preschool age children have the opportunity to improve their cognitive skills, logical reasoning, express their ideas and feelings, build positive relationships among their friends, families and communities, and express themselves in verbal, written, and artistic forms. A main purposes of these centers is to help children prepare to enter and succeed in the formal school system.
- In order to strengthen the academic abilities of children ages 7-12, WV El Salvador implemented Child Community Clubs. In these clubs, children strengthen their skills in math, language, and reading. Children also develop decision-making and problem-solving skills, and are encouraged to think creatively. A main goal of these clubs is to improve children’s academic performance and encourage them to stay in school.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local
churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways,
and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- Relying on God's grace and Spirit, our local staff served children and families as a demonstration of God's unconditional love, seeking always to be faithful ambassadors of Jesus--the reason for our hope.