Learn the facts about Hurricane Iota, which made landfall in Central America as a Category 4 storm, and join us in prayer for people affected.
Why World Vision is in El Salvador
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in El Salvador
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Fun games and activities such as bike races helped children learn about their rights, responsibilities, and the importance of promoting peace and non-violence.
- Children can grow up in more loving environments after parents and caregivers learned to raise children with compassion and improve family communication through activities such as family circles.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- More children have access to safe drinking water after new water filters were installed in communities and schools. Community members also learned how to maintain the filters.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Girls and boys are learning valuable interpersonal skills through after school clubs, where they can improve their communication, develop self-confidence, and learn to resolve conflict.
- Through vocational training, youth gained valuable employment skills, such as electrical and motorcycle repair. They also learned goal-setting and networking skills to further their career opportunities.
Prayer Requests from El Salvador
World Vision's staff in El Salvador are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Protection for El Salvador’s children from violence in all forms — that their families and communities would love and support them.
Dialogue between communities and governments would bring conditions of peace that break generational cycles of violence.
News from El Salvador
The mosquito-borne Zika virus can cause microcephaly and other serious birth defects. Though the disease has faded from the news since its most recent outbreak from 2015 to 2016, Zika remains a risk in dozens of countries and territories in the Americas. Learn facts about Zika, the latest outbreak, and future threats.
Enjoyed learning about El Salvador?
Now discover another country: