There are more refugees in the world than ever before, and their needs have never been greater, not only for the basic necessities of life, but for hope and opportunities to be self-sufficient. Find out more about the global refugee crisis.
Why World Vision is in Ethiopia
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Ethiopia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Through training sessions, kids, parents, and community members are learning about children's rights, how to identify abuse, and how to report violations of children's rights to keep kids safe.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Children are safer from diseases after new latrines were built in several communities and community members were trained in good hygiene practices such as hand washing.
- More than 20,000 people now have access to clean water after new water systems were installed near their homes and schools.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Children can learn in better environments after classrooms were renovated and schools received resources such as new latrines and books. Teachers also received professional development training to equip them with better teaching methods.
- Vulnerable children who were at risk of dropping out of school received funds for school fees and necessary supplies so they can continue their education.
Prayer Requests from Ethiopia
World Vision's staff in Ethiopia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For peace and stability for all people in Ethiopia, especially in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic.
For funding to meet increasing needs.
For World Vision staff to be encouraged in their commitment to transforming communities.
News from Ethiopia
Hunger is on the rise in Africa. Learn facts about drought, famine, malnutrition, and hunger in Africa as well as how you can help World Vision respond.
In arid Durame, Ethiopia, organizations had drilled six times for clean water, without success. When World Vision arrived to attempt, the people might have said not to bother, since everyone else had failed. Instead they said, “We must pray and fast, and the Lord will bring us water.” Prayer made all the difference.
Enjoyed learning about Ethiopia?
Now discover another country: