Child marriage is a violation of human rights. Marrying as a child compromises a girl’s development and severely limits her opportunities in life. Get the child marriage facts and learn how you can help end it.
Why World Vision is in Ghana
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Ghana
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- After community members learned about child rights and how to keep kids safe, they successfully protected several kids from child marriage.
- Children are more empowered to be leaders and improve their communities. In several areas, kids gave presentations to local leaders about their ideas for safety and protection of children.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Girls and boys learned about how to stay healthy by practicing good hygiene such as hand washing.
- Health workers monitored children's growth to treat kids suffering from malnutrition. Also, thousands of children were given Vitamin A supplements, which are vital to healthy development.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Schools in Ghana received resources such as desks, textbooks, and latrines to improve the learning environment and encourage more kids to stay in school. Teachers also benefited from professional development training.
Prayer Requests from Ghana
World Vision's staff in Ghana are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For partners to understand and embrace projects in a way that transforms communities.
For God to guide the next phase of strategic planning.
For cooperation and safety during the upcoming elections.
News from Ghana
Pray for West Africa: Pray for political and economic stability, maternal and child health, and sponsored children.
Enjoyed learning about Ghana?
Now discover another country: