In 2021, World Vision responded to 72 disasters in 52 countries, helping more than 30.1 million people in crisis — in addition to our ongoing global response to the COVID-19 pandemic. Learn more about some of the worst disasters of 2021.
Why World Vision is in Guatemala
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Guatemala
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Parents learned positive parenting skills, including how to discipline children without physical or emotional punishment, helping to protect girls and boys from abuse. And nearly all child protection groups have a joint plan to strengthen child protection.
- Young girls and boys had their height and weight checked, helping to identify malnourished children so they can get the treatment they need. 100% of malnourished children under age 5 made a full recovery after attending our program, helping to prevent child sickness.
- More people now have clean water less than 30 minutes from home and more schools now have safe water sources, helping to free community members, especially women and girls, from time collecting water.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Community volunteer trained in our literacy program helped girls and boys learn to read and write.
- Schools were given new books and teachers participated in trainings, giving children more opportunities to reach their full potential.
Prayer Requests from Guatemala
World Vision's staff in Guatemala are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For children who have lost the opportunity to study and for those who suffer from domestic violence or are victims of trafficking.
That the effects of this rainy season aren’t as severe as last year, and that families are prepared to face the storms that come.
News from Guatemala
Our world is full of hurting families and nations torn apart. More than 930 million people live in countries with conflict, violence, or fragile internal systems. Pray with us for people living in fragile contexts and conflict zones.
Enjoyed learning about Guatemala?
Now discover another country: