Learn the facts about Hurricane Iota, which made landfall in Central America as a Category 4 storm, and join us in prayer for people affected.
Why World Vision is in Guatemala
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Guatemala
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Leadership workshops and small groups helped children learn about their rights, their responsibilities, and the importance of self-care.
- Parents, teachers, and children participated in training sessions where they learned to identify and report cases of child abuse so that children can feel safer in their communities.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- To help keep children healthy and strong, mothers learned how to grow nutritious foods in backyard gardens and prepare balanced meals for their children. They also learned about proper hygiene when cooking to help prevent food and waterborne diseases.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Children's reading comprehension and literacy skills are improving through new teaching methods, dedicated reading spaces in schools, and family support for literacy at home.
- Parents and teachers learned about child development and basic education for young children. Now they can better support their students with engaging activities to foster children's development.
Prayer Requests from Guatemala
World Vision's staff in Guatemala are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Our youth to find development opportunities through our programs and are pulled out of violence and poverty.
Hearts of decision makers are sensitized so that children's well-being is prioritized.
News from Guatemala
The mosquito-borne Zika virus can cause microcephaly and other serious birth defects. Though the disease has faded from the news since its most recent outbreak from 2015 to 2016, Zika remains a risk in dozens of countries and territories in the Americas. Learn facts about Zika, the latest outbreak, and future threats.
Enjoyed learning about Guatemala?
Now discover another country: