Learn the facts about Hurricane Iota, which made landfall in Central America as a Category 4 storm, and join us in prayer for people affected.
Why World Vision is in Nicaragua
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Nicaragua
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- More than 8,000 children learned how to use technology and social media in a safe way, in order to help prevent cyber-bullying and protect themselves from dangers on the internet.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Children are empowered to help keep themselves healthy after more than 10,000 girls and boys learned about proper hygiene, how to protect themselves from illnesses, and about healthy nutrition.
- Children have better access to clean water and toilets after new water fountains and accessible toilets were installed in their communities.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Students have more resources to improve their reading and writing skills. Schools were equipped with new reading materials, books, and furniture. And reading clubs helped kids get additional support outside of the classroom.
- Teachers are better equipped after they learned new child-friendly teaching methods for reading and writing.
Prayer Requests from Nicaragua
World Vision's staff in Nicaragua are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Health and well-being of the children and families affected by Hurricanes Eta and Iota.
Political stability during the 2021 presidential elections.
News from Nicaragua
Join us to pray for Central America — for World Vision’s work in the countries of Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. In many areas of Central America, gang violence, drug trafficking, and the lasting effects of past wars make life especially difficult for children and their families.
Enjoyed learning about Nicaragua?
Now discover another country: