What’s it like to celebrate the holidays when you’re far from home? Refugees in the Bidibidi settlement in Uganda share how they prepare for Christmas while reflecting on Christmases past.
Why World Vision is in Uganda
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Uganda
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Parents and caregivers learned positive parenting skills, including how to discipline children without physical or emotional punishment, helping to protect girls and boys from abuse.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- In many communities, 100% of babies under age one who are supported by community health workers have been immunized, helping to protect them from preventable diseases like polio and measles.
- Community health workers and volunteers completed prenatal and postnatal training and are now caring for pregnant women and newborns, helping more moms and babies stay healthy.
- Local farmers learned about improved crop production and storage methods, pest control, and seed management, helping them grow more and earn a better living for their families.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Local volunteers attended literacy training. More children now go to after-school literacy activities, helping them to improve their reading skills.
Prayer Requests from Uganda
World Vision's staff in Uganda are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For God’s protection over children during this time of uncertainty.
For parents and caregivers to be able to provide and care for their children.
News from Uganda
A family fleeing conflict in South Sudan lost everything and has started over in a refugee settlement in Uganda. World Vision Gift Catalog goats are helping them rebuild their lives.
By air, land, and sea, World Vision is racing to deliver emergency food supplies across East Africa for families in need.
Enjoyed learning about Uganda?
Now discover another country: