A family fleeing conflict in South Sudan lost everything and has started over in a refugee settlement in Uganda. World Vision Gift Catalog goats are helping them rebuild their lives.
Why World Vision is in Uganda
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Uganda
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Faith leaders were equipped to respond to community needs after learning about gender-based violence and harmful family practices. In one area, nearly 300 faith leaders worked with lawmakers to create policies that protect children, particularly against child marriage.
- Community members learned about child rights, how to report violations against children, and how to help keep kids safe. Children also took part in forums where they discussed their concerns and issues that impact them.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Children and their families learned about the importance of personal hygiene and sanitation practices, such as proper hand washing. Some households built hand-washing stations for the first time.
- Mothers and caregivers learned about better nutrition for their kids, including how to prepare healthy meals using local ingredients. Their children's growth was also monitored, so that children who are malnourished could receive proper treatment and support.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- More than 15,000 girls and boys were able to improve their reading, writing, and math skills through community centers staffed by parent volunteers. They also received new resources such as books and instructional materials. In addition, teachers learned new child-friendly teaching methods to better support kids' education.
Prayer Requests from Uganda
World Vision's staff in Uganda are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For God’s protection over children during this time of uncertainty.
For parents and caregivers to be able to provide and care for their children.
News from Uganda
By air, land, and sea, World Vision is racing to deliver emergency food supplies across East Africa for families in need.
Hellen struggled to provide for her five children in Uganda, but when her son Rome, a World Vision sponsored child, received a Special Gift, it changed everything. The family was able to build a new home with a kitchen and a toilet.
Enjoyed learning about Uganda?
Now discover another country: