In rural communities, women have to travel long distances to get basic healthcare. World Vision–trained community health workers help bridge the gap and provide care as well as education.
Why World Vision is in Zambia
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Zambia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- More children live in communities that help protect their rights. Children, parents, and faith leaders learned about children's rights and how to identify and report suspected cases of child abuse. They especially focused on what steps can be taken to prevent child marriage.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Mothers were given the support they need to help keep themselves healthy and give their babies the best start possible. Pregnant women received prenatal care, and mothers learned about infant health, preventing malnutrition through breastfeeding, and when to seek medical care for their children.
- Children are safer from water-related diseases after 21 new boreholes were drilled and others were fixed, providing clean drinking water. Kids and families also learned safe hygiene and sanitation practices, including proper hand washing and how to maintain hygiene facilities.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Children are improving their literacy skills through special reading spaces in schools. Also, teachers learned new child-friendly teaching methods to better support kids' education.
- More students have access to better learning environments after classrooms were renovated and furnished with new desks. Also, some schools received new books for children to access.
Prayer Requests from Zambia
World Vision's staff in Zambia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For the recovery of Zambian communities affected by drought.
For girls rescued from child marriage to have the hope and determination to go back to school and realize their God-given potential.
For peace and unity through 2021’s presidential election.
News from Zambia
Read a few stories of how the lives of children and families change when they receive animals — like goats, chickens, and alpacas — through the World Vision Gift Catalog. We hope these animal tales will warm your Thanksgiving.
When you give the gift of a goat through World Vision’s Gift Catalog, you’re helping to provide a sustainable source of income for families around the world. The small, but hearty animals basically take care of themselves, reproduce quickly, and seldom get sick.
Enjoyed learning about Zambia?
Now discover another country: