A family was struggling in rural Zambia, but a gift of goats through World Vision’s Gift Catalog changed their lives and allowed them to also bless others. Now their children are dreaming of a bright future.
Why World Vision is in Zambia
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Zambia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- More children live in communities that help protect their rights. Children, parents, and faith leaders learned about children's rights and how to identify and report suspected cases of child abuse. They especially focused on what steps can be taken to prevent child marriage.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Mothers were given the support they need to help keep themselves healthy and give their babies the best start possible. Pregnant women received prenatal care, and mothers learned about infant health, preventing malnutrition through breastfeeding, and when to seek medical care for their children.
- Children are safer from water-related diseases after 21 new boreholes were drilled and others were fixed, providing clean drinking water. Kids and families also learned safe hygiene and sanitation practices, including proper hand washing and how to maintain hygiene facilities.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Children are improving their literacy skills through special reading spaces in schools. Also, teachers learned new child-friendly teaching methods to better support kids' education.
- More students have access to better learning environments after classrooms were renovated and furnished with new desks. Also, some schools received new books for children to access.
Prayer Requests from Zambia
World Vision's staff in Zambia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For government leaders to make the right decisions that will improve the living conditions of people who have fallen deeper into poverty from the COVID-19 pandemic.
For peace to reign in the country as people vote in general elections mid-2021.
News from Zambia
Hunger is on the rise in Africa. Learn facts about drought, famine, malnutrition, and hunger in Africa as well as how you can help World Vision respond.
Enjoyed learning about Zambia?
Now discover another country: