Why World Vision is in Chile
Though Chile boasts one of the fastest-growing economies in Latin America, an immense income gap between rich and poor means many Chileans are still living in poverty. In the areas where World Vision works, unemployment is high and families are struggling with the effects of violence. Children are especially vulnerable; according to UNICEF, 51 percent of children have suffered physical violence at home and more than 8 percent have been sexually abused. Our work in Chile is focused on protecting children through abuse prevention programs, economic development, and youth advocacy efforts that equip young people to speak up for change in their communities. Beginning with parents and teachers and working up to local authorities and government agencies, we are raising awareness of child rights—especially the right to safety and protection at home and at school.
We never give up on people
With so much happening around the world, it can be hard to decide where your money can have the greatest impact. With your help through the Where Most Needed fund, we can respond quickly to urgent needs of the world's most vulnerable children and families. And, thanks to grant funds and donated products, your monthly gifts multiply 4 times in impact.
Progress in Chile
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Together with local partners, we organized workshops for children to strengthen their personal and social skills, emphasizing good treatment, teamwork, respect, and tolerance. Thanks to the trainings, children were encouraged to manage their emotions, communicate effectively, and develop good judgment.
- In order for children to be able to participate in decisions that affect their lives, they were trained in leadership, advocacy, and child rights.
- Parents, teachers, and community members were equipped with knowledge and tools to help them build safe, caring environments for children.
- Farmers and entrepreneurs received training to help them increase capacity, manage production, and market their products in an effort to increase household incomes.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Workshops on climate change, recycling, production of compost, and organic gardens were some of the tools used to inspire children to care for the environment.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways, and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- Relying on God’s grace and Spirit, our local staff served children and families as a demonstration of God’s unconditional love, seeking always to be faithful ambassadors of Jesus, the reason for our hope.
Prayer Requests from Chile
World Vision's staff in Chile are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Healing for children who have experienced abuse at the hands of those entrusted with their protection.
Transformed hearts as parents learn positive ways to discipline and nurture their children.
Enjoyed learning about Chile?
Now discover another country: