About 82.4 million people worldwide have been forcibly displaced. Learn the countries where most refugees come from, why refugees flee, and how you can help address the plight of refugees, especially children.
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Why World Vision is in Democratic Republic of the Congo
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Democratic Republic of the Congo
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Vulnerable families participated in child protection training so that they know how to access resources to keep their children safe.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Hygiene trainings gave families and kids the tools and resources needed to stay healthy.
- Families have access to clean water closer to home after World Vision helped established clean water sources within 30 minutes of several communities.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Schools and literacy programs were equipped with thousands of books in local languages with regionally specific stories to get kids excited to read more.
- Community members were trained to run local literacy programs and reading clubs so that kids could receive support as they learned to read and write.
Prayer Requests from Democratic Republic of the Congo
World Vision's staff in Democratic Republic of the Congo are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For all the children in the DRC to be protected from COVID-19 and its lingering effects.
For peace in the eastern part of the country as people face armed violence and inter-community conflicts.
News from Democratic Republic of the Congo
There are more refugees in the world than ever before, and their needs have never been greater, not only for the basic necessities of life, but for hope and opportunities to be self-sufficient. Find out more about the global refugee crisis.
The threat of another volcanic eruption of Mount Nyiragongo, one of the world’s most active and dangerous volcanoes, is forcing tens of thousands of people to flee from Goma in the eastern DRC. Learn what World Vision is doing to help people affected by the volcano.
Enjoyed learning about Democratic Republic of the Congo?
Now discover another country: