More than 70.8 million people worldwide have been forcibly displaced. Learn the countries where most refugees come from, why refugees flee, and how you can help address the plight of refugees, especially children.
Democratic Republic of the Congo
Why World Vision is in Democratic Republic of the Congo
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Democratic Republic of the Congo
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Youth are being empowered as leaders in their communities. After learning about their rights, youth leaders then led trainings where they educated their peers. Additionally, youth taught their peers other key life skills and spoke on issues affecting them in their communities.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Over 10,000 children in the Democratic Republic of the Congo have access to safe water after World Vision helped establish new water sources closer to communities that need them.
- Parents are being empowered to give their children the best nutrition and healthcare possible. World Vision hosted trainings in the Democratic Republic of the Congo where parents were given tools and resources to give their kids healthier food and preventive illnesses.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- World Vision is providing resources to help more children get an education. Students who were enrolled but at risk of dropping out received resources and training that encouraged them to stay in school. Other students who didn't have access to education are now able to attend school because school board members reached out to parents and helped them understand the importance of education for their children's lives.
- Students have improved schools and learning resources after World Vision helped construct new classrooms, renovate existing ones, and provide schools with books, computers, and desks.
Prayer Requests from Democratic Republic of the Congo
World Vision's staff in Democratic Republic of the Congo are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
That children, and particularly orphans, are protected from exploitation and child labor, and that their needs are met.
For an effective response to the Ebola outbreak.
For an end to the decades of civil war and cross-border conflict.
News from Democratic Republic of the Congo
There are more refugees in the world than ever before, and their needs have never been greater, not only for the basic necessities of life, but for hope and opportunities to be self-sufficient. Find out more about the global refugee crisis.
God is with people suffering from disaster — refugees, families facing famine, survivors of earthquakes, hurricanes, and tsunamis. Join us in prayer for all who find themselves “strangers,” as Jesus calls them in Matthew 25:35.
Enjoyed learning about Democratic Republic of the Congo?
Now discover another country: