There are more refugees in the world than ever before, and their needs have never been greater, not only for the basic necessities of life, but for hope and opportunities to be self-sufficient. Find out more about the global refugee crisis.
Why World Vision is in Ethiopia
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Ethiopia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Families are joining savings groups and taking classes on personal finance to help them provide for their children over the long-term.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Thousands more people have access to clean water less than 30 minutes away from their home after World Vision helped establish various clean water sources in local communities.
- Children are better protected from the spread of infectious disease now that World Vision helped hundreds of families build toilets in their homes and communities.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Early education become a bigger priority in many households. More children aged 3-6 were sent to preschool and parents attended trainings on how to support their youngest children's' learning at home.
- Children received support as the learned to read and write in reading camps. Additionally, thousands of books with regionally specific stories in local languages were given to children to encourage them to read at home.
Prayer Requests from Ethiopia
World Vision's staff in Ethiopia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For effective infrastructure development, like the Great Ethiopian Renaissance Dam project, that will help the country climb out of poverty.
For God’s peace to miraculously prevail in the ongoing Tigray crisis and for vulnerable people to be protected from the violence.
News from Ethiopia
Hunger is on the rise in Africa. Learn facts about drought, famine, malnutrition, and hunger in Africa as well as how you can help World Vision respond.
In arid Durame, Ethiopia, organizations had drilled six times for clean water, without success. When World Vision arrived to attempt, the people might have said not to bother, since everyone else had failed. Instead they said, “We must pray and fast, and the Lord will bring us water.” Prayer made all the difference.
Enjoyed learning about Ethiopia?
Now discover another country: