God is with people suffering from disaster — refugees, earthquake survivors, families facing famine. Join us in prayer for all those who find themselves “strangers,” as Jesus calls them in Matthew 25:35.
Why World Vision is in Jerusalem/West Bank/Gaza
In September 2015, violence increased in Jerusalem West Bank Gaza and continued on an almost daily basis. Amidst the conflicts, families struggled to make a living and children did their best to continue their education. World Vision worked to help communities in crisis by providing recovery projects that generate food and income, such as agricultural cooperatives, savings groups, and small business opportunities. Schools were equipped with new science labs, computer resource centers, libraries, and sports facilities that boosted learning and provided children and youth with more opportunities for the future. To address mental health concerns for the thousands of orphaned and displaced children, safe spaces and summer camps were added. By empowering children to overcome trauma, we encouraged children’s hope and vision for the future.
Progress in Jerusalem/West Bank/Gaza
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- We worked in collaboration with a local partner to assess the protection issues facing children, such as violence at schools, internet risks, and working parents being absent at home. We will use the information gained to address these issues.
- To empower students to address issues they face in their schools, we trained student council members to advocate for quality education.
- To help youth enter the labor market, we assessed the community's needs and worked with the Ministry of Labor and local vocational training centers to train youth in fields where they can secure employment and help support their families.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- We helped improve maternal and child health by teaching mothers about disease prevention and childhood nutrition practices, such as exclusive breastfeeding for the first six months and preparing nutritious meals for toddlers using local ingredients.
- In collaboration with the Department of Health, we trained school-aged children on nutrition, physical activity, clean water, personal hygiene, and waste management.
- We partnered with the Ministry of Health to distribute 5,000 informational brochures on preventing and treating diabetes, which is a prevalent disease in this area.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- We trained teachers on an active learning approach for their students to encourage a cooperative, rather than lecture, learning style. Teachers are using new techniques such as drama, art, and music to improve the classroom environment, and conducting science classes outdoors when possible.
- To provide children with healthy environments in which they can thrive, we rehabilitated safe play areas where children can find a respite from crisis situations. We staffed the safe play areas with responsible leaders.
- To enhance the education of students in grades 5-10, teachers were trained by us to help other teachers improve their skills in teaching math and language.
Love of God and Neighbors
Children and families are growing spiritually, local churches are strengthened to demonstrate Christ's love in practical ways, and people are living at peace with their neighbors.
- Following Christ’s example, we worked alongside children and families to change lives, promote peace and understanding, and demonstrate God’s unconditional love.
Prayer Requests from Jerusalem/West Bank/Gaza
World Vision's staff in Jerusalem/West Bank/Gaza are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Peace and justice in the Holy Land.
Children to live their lives in fullness protected from harm and violence.
News from Jerusalem/West Bank/Gaza
Thousands of families are fleeing war and violence in Syria in hope of finding peace. Check out this interactive Google map of the refugee journey.
Enjoyed learning about Jerusalem/West Bank/Gaza?
Now discover another country: