Learn the facts about Hurricane Iota, which made landfall in Central America as a Category 4 storm, and join us in prayer for people affected.
Why World Vision is in Nicaragua
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Nicaragua
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Parents learned positive parenting skills, including how to discipline children without physical or emotional punishment, helping to protect girls and boys from abuse.
- Community groups regularly meet to review and act on issues children face, helping to ensure children are safe, cared for, and protected from abuse.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Hygiene kits including soap, jerry cans, and handwashing supplies were given to community members, helping to protect children and their families from diseases like COVID-19.
- More schools have accessible toilets, making it easier for students with limited mobility to attend school.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Weekly after-school reading clubs were started to give children extra help and encourage a love of reading. Children, parents, and caregivers received education support or training to help more children go to school and reach their full potential.
Prayer Requests from Nicaragua
World Vision's staff in Nicaragua are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Health and well-being of the children and families affected by Hurricanes Eta and Iota.
Political stability during the 2021 presidential elections.
News from Nicaragua
Join us to pray for Central America — for World Vision’s work in the countries of Guatemala, El Salvador, Honduras, Nicaragua, and Costa Rica. In many areas of Central America, gang violence, drug trafficking, and the lasting effects of past wars make life especially difficult for children and their families.
Enjoyed learning about Nicaragua?
Now discover another country: