There are more refugees in the world than ever before — 27 million — and their needs have never been greater, not only for the basic necessities of life, but also for hope and opportunities to be self-sufficient. Find out more about the global refugee crisis.
Why World Vision is in Romania
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Romania
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Children's councils organized activities, including drama presentations and contests, to teach their peers. Through these, more than 7,000 girls and boys learned to recognize and address violence, abuse, and bullying and also how to speak up to help prevent abuse and violence in their communities.
- Parents learned positive parenting skills and how to create safer environments for their children at home and in the community.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Parents and children learned how to help prevent diseases and stay healthy through good hygiene practices. Some vulnerable families received extra support, including hygiene items and diapers.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- To improve their academic performance, more than 1,000 children attended after school programs where they received tutoring and healthy meals.
- More than 5,000 youth participated in life skills classes where they were empowered to be leaders in their communities. They learned skills including communication, relationship-building, and critical thinking.
Prayer Requests from Romania
World Vision's staff in Romania are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For children in Romania who are born in poverty, to protect them from harm; to help them keep their courage and strength in the face of adversity; and to help them learn, stay in school, and reach for a brighter future.
For our hardworking teachers and doctors, to have strength of mind and body to help our children overcome this dark time.
News from Romania
World Vision is committed to help bridge barriers for vulnerable people who face each day with a disability. As we take steps to do so, we reflect on powerful moments and stories brought about through our work.
Enjoyed learning about Romania?
Now discover another country: