The 2014 outbreak of Ebola virus disease in West Africa was the “largest, most severe and most complex Ebola epidemic” in history.
Why World Vision is in Sierra Leone
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Sierra Leone
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Parents attended trainings on positive discipline strategies, which gave them tools to care for their children in a healthy and productive way.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Healthcare facilities were supported by World Vision to prevent the spread of COVID-19 through PPE donations and trainings for staff.
- Public hand washing stations were built in several communities to encourage community members to wash their hands more to protect against the spread of COVID-19.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Schools were equipped with age appropriate books and resources to help kids in grades 1 to 3 learn how to read.
- Reading clubs around Sierra Leone were established and parents were trained to help maintain the reading groups in their communities.
Prayer Requests from Sierra Leone
World Vision's staff in Sierra Leone are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
God to divinely protect all the children we serve from sickness, harm, and abuse.
God to give our staff determination to live out our Christian faith and calling with boldness and humility.
News from Sierra Leone
Pray for West Africa: Pray for political and economic stability, maternal and child health, and sponsored children.
Hurricane Harvey and flooding around the world is captured in 12 stunning photographs by World Vision photographers as we respond to these natural disasters.
Enjoyed learning about Sierra Leone?
Now discover another country: