In times of crisis, World Vision establishes Child-Friendly Spaces where children can go and feel safe, begin recovering from trauma, and learn to play again. Read how play is crucial for children’s learning and recovery.
Why World Vision is in Albania
One of the poorer European countries, Albania is currently reforming their judicial system. By focusing on getting rid of widespread corruption in 2018, Albania aimed to boost its chances of being accepted into the EU, which would give the country much-needed financial support. Albania’s government is taking important steps to care for vulnerable children and families burdened by poverty, but challenges remain in carrying out those laws and many people still don’t get the help they need. The promise of better futures outside the country continues to draw many people. Even when young adults receive good educations, they face high unemployment rates, so migrating often seems like a better choice than staying in Albania. As well, the World Bank reported that as many as half of Albanian children struggle with literacy. Especially in rural areas, schools don’t have enough well-trained teachers or supportive systems for kids who need extra help. Thanks to the support of donors, vulnerable families in our project areas are experiencing hope. In 2018, kids began to get more inclusive services in schools because of new results from research showing the lack of support for disabled students. Usually kids with disabilities in rural areas can’t access any therapy services, so our Hello Life project is bringing therapists into homes to give kids specific help. Our church partners are empowering families to wholly love and nurture their kids, both physically and spiritually. And children themselves are taking action to address gaps in child protection, especially by helping their peers know what’s safe and healthy and by advocating at the national level for the changes they need.
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Albania
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Parents of disabled children in Albania are receiving training to help them meet the unique needs of their child.
- Over 6,000 children in Albania received training on how to recognize and report child abuse in their communities. Additionally, about 300 community members are taking an active role in monitoring and protecting children's safety in their community to establishing child protection units and teaching child right's classes.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Children in Albania are receiving the tools they need to keep themselves healthy. World Vision led several initiatives to build latrines in school and provides hygiene kits to children.
- Children are learning about the importance of nutritious food and have access when they need it the most. For example, almost 850 children and their families received emergency food packages from World Vision after their community was impacted by flooding.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- In Albania, children with disabilities are getting the resources they need to be successful in school. World Vision trained teachers on inclusive teaching skills and other methods to make quality learning spaces for children with special needs.
Prayer Requests from Albania
World Vision's staff in Albania are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
Effective programs that bring changes in the most vulnerable children’s lives.
Our staff’s motivation for their mission to be witnesses of God’s love through the ministry of World Vision.
News from Albania
Pray for Eastern Europe — for mothers and their unborn babies, for neglected and abused children, and for marginalized communities in Eastern Europe.
Starting in 1950 with the Korean War, World Vision has responded to the most urgent disasters and humanitarian crises around the world, providing immediate aid.
Enjoyed learning about Albania?
Now discover another country: