The Venezuela crisis has caused about 5 million people to flee the country, seeking food, work, and a better life. While the influx from Venezuela has caused tensions in host countries, it also has brought out their hospitable spirit.
Why World Vision is in Colombia
We never give up on people
World Vision child sponsorship looks at all the things that prevent children from surviving and thriving in their community, and then works with that community to bring all the pieces of the puzzle together to build a better life for all children. For sponsors, it’s a personal way to show God’s love to a child in need in a life-changing way.
Progress in Colombia
Thanks to the generous support of donors, we’re making great progress toward the well-being of children and their families.
Child Protection and Care
Boys and girls are safe and valued, well cared for by their families, and participating in their communities as agents of transformation.
- Adults are better equipped to protect children after they learned how to report violations of children's rights and create safer environments for kids.
- Children learned skills to communicate and resolve conflicts, promoting a culture of peace. They also learned leadership and decision-making skills to use with peers, at home, and in their communities.
Healthy Children and Families
Children and families are well nourished, protected from infection and disease, and have access to essential health services.
- Children under 5 are healthier after receiving growth monitoring and vaccinations to help protect them from disease.
- Parents learned how to prepare healthy and nutritious foods for their children and how to identify the signs of malnutrition.
Education for Better Lives
Children have opportunities to learn and to develop their talents, young people are equipped for the future, and families and communities support children's education.
- Students enjoy safer school environments after learning about their rights, how to work together, and how to prevent and stop bullying.
Prayer Requests from Colombia
World Vision's staff in Colombia are asking us to join them in prayer for the following:
For God’s love and strength to lift up refugee families as they seek to transform their lives and find a new, stable beginning.
For Colombian families to take the lead in providing care and protection for their children.
For God’s wisdom and direction in our work to help children and youth enjoy fullness of life.
News from Colombia
There are more refugees in the world than ever before, and their needs have never been greater, not only for the basic necessities of life, but for hope and opportunities to be self-sufficient. Find out more about the global refugee crisis.
The mosquito-borne Zika virus can cause microcephaly and other serious birth defects. Though the disease has faded from the news since its most recent outbreak from 2015 to 2016, Zika remains a risk in dozens of countries and territories in the Americas. Learn facts about Zika, the latest outbreak, and future threats.
Enjoyed learning about Colombia?
Now discover another country: